|Across Great Divides is a
very easy to read account of the arrival of the First Fleet
into Sydney Harbour in 1788
'Stories of Life at Sydney Cove’ is a new young reader edition of ‘Across Great Divides' for ages 10 to adult.
* All the people named in the stories really lived at Sydney Cove.
* They are about true historical events described in the journals, letters and reports of people on the First Fleet.
* The stories have relevance to the Australian Curriculum.
* The stories are relayed from varying perspectives.
To learn more about 'Stories of Life at Sydney Cove' and other books by Susan Boyer click here
For access to associated free resources click here
‘Stories of Life at Sydney Cove’ links to the following
Australian Curriculum History Units (v8.2) content descriptions
Year 4 First contacts
· Stories of the First Fleet, including reasons for the journey, who travelled to Australia, and their experiences following arrival (ACHASSK085)
· The nature of contact between Aboriginal people & the Europeans, & the effects of interactions on families and the environment (ACHASSK086)
Year 5 The Australian Colonies
· The nature of convict or colonial presence, including the factors that influenced patterns of development, aspects of the daily life of the inhabitants (including Aboriginal Peoples and Torres Strait Islander Peoples) and how the environment changed (ACHASSK107)
· The role that a significant individual or group played in shaping a colony (ACHASSK110)
Key Inquiry Questions at year 5 level are:
· What do we know about the lives of people in Australia’s colonial past and how do we know?
· How did an Australian colony develop over time and why?
· How did colonial settlement change the environment?
· What were the significant events and who were the significant people that shaped Australian colonies?
The nature & extent of movement of peoples in the period (convicts & settlers) (ACOKFH015)
Depth study: Movement of peoples (1750 – 1901)
· The influence of the Industrial Revolution on the movement of peoples throughout the world, including …convict transportation (ACDSEH018)
· The experiences of…convicts and free settlers upon departure, their journey abroad, and their reactions on arrival, including the Australian experience (ACDSEH083)
· Changes in the way of life of a group(s) of people who moved to Australia in this period… (ACDSEH084)
The information above was sourced from: